Millennials,
Communication is one
of the most powerful and influential attribute in a relationship. There are three main parts to communication
that people use today they are: words, non-verbal words, and tone.
Communication with words is exactly what it sounds like talking back and forth.
Non- Verbal communication are things like body language and expressions which
happen to be the most understood. Tone are things like pitch, speed, and volume
of how the person is talking. If we are able to understand and use all three of
these communicational levels the right way then we can have better
relationships with our spouse, children, family members, and friends.
Some of the biggest
problems with communication include: miss interpretation, we don’t say what we
mean, and we find it awkward to talk to others. When we text the use of Emoji’s
are more prevalent than real conversations. We expect people to understand what
we are saying through a picture. There are more facetime call or ear to ear
conversations then there are face to face conversations. There is a five-step
process to communication. We first focus on our thoughts and feelings then we
are able to encode it to where we understand it. (Encoding is defined as our
brains coming up with symbols or a system that we can de-code later.) Then
after we have come up with a code there is a re-coding stage, and after that
there is a medium or media being used like tone, body language, or facial
expressions. Then one all those are done the person can influence based on
thoughts and feelings.
A challenge that
come with this five-step communicational process is being on the same channel.
You can either agree or disagree to be on the right channel with one another.
Signs of not being on the same channel include: screaming, leaving hints, or
thinking that the other person doesn’t understand you. An example I have of
this is when I get mad at my own boyfriend. I will often tell him to leave my
apartment, and one day he actually did. I told me him that I was super mad at
him, but he insisted that I was the person who told him to leave. I explained
to him why I was hurt by saying “when I tell you to go away that’s when I want
you to stay the most.” By not being clear, venting, and impulsive thinking we
say things that make sense to us, but not others.How we can tell that our message got across
or to make sure that we are understanding the other person we can ask
questions. Through questions we are able to get a response. If your wife for
example is saying “ you are self, all you do is work and that’s it.” You can
ask “If I understand…” or “Did I catch
this correct?” These two questions make it a lot easy to communicate back and
forth to one another. Becoming vulnerable makes it a lot easier to hear and say
things to your spouse children, family members, or friends. Communication is a
very intimate things as well. when it comes to talking about hard issues or own
anger take the time to hold hands with the person you are talking to. By doing
this motion you are opening yourself, and saying things that you truly mean.
When communicating
with a spouse the more thing that you can talk about as a couple the better.
The closer you become as a couple the closer build up to God. When talking
never use corrupt language which means say things that are not disrespectful,
dishonest, or impure. Also, if you need give the other person the benefit of
the doubt, really think things through before you say them as well because that
is part of grace. In doctrine and Covenants section 76: 53 it states “And
who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit
of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are
just and true.” This is important because those who have been
married in the temple are not sealed to one another until they are living
righteously. Communication helps with living righteously. It is also important
to remember that when you are mad at your spouse Satan is egging you on to stay
mad at them. This is why it is important to always be communicating in your
relationship. The more you communicate together as a couple the happier you can
become.
Blogger,
Laken Nordin

No comments:
Post a Comment