Thursday, March 22, 2018

Working

Millennials,
When most of us think of the word work we automatically put it in the categories of being something bad or hard. Chores or small jobs like cutting the grass, shoving show off of the driveway, or babysitting are considered small jobs.  Most of us think that we should get an allowance for completing chores, but that actually stunts our attitude on how we look at work. Work should be done in a specific way also in my opinion to get our full blessings from it. That order is trying to work in pairs, serve others, pay your tithing, and then we receive our blessing from our heavenly father.
I was lucky enough to be blessed by getting to work with Brother Starley form my homeward in Virginia. He happened to be an oral surgeon, and he asked me to be the rotator where he was working. My job as the rotator basically meant that I cleaned the rooms and set up the rooms after each surgery he did. I wasn’t alone when I did this job though, there happen to be at least four other people that I worked with. Everything seem to go a lot smoother when everyone was in synced with the surgery schedule. It was nice knowing that if I was behind in something someone else could step in and help in-order to keep us on track. The group paring also helped in surgies when Brother Starley need a tool. The first assistant  stayed in the room suctioning while the second assistant got the tool he needed. This made things a lot easier for themselves and the doctors.
From experience I can tell you all the blessing you get from paying your tithing. Tithing is a donation to the church that consists of ten percent or more from whatever you made. Gordon B. Hinckley said “The LAW of Tithing is a law designed to bless us. It does not take from us. Great are promises of the Lord to those who live honestly with him in their offerings.” When we pay of ten percent of tithing we receive blessings that we don’t deserve or are searching for. The Lord gave up his only son for the sins of the world, and in return all he asks is that we pay ten percent to the church of what me make.
Some of the best memories people have come from doing chores or work as well. When working people are more open to side by side conversations. A bond is created when we are talking to the people we work with because they lead to laughing, joking, singing, and pranks. The opportunity to become closer to a parent, sibling, friend, or in-law can happen when you talk while doing work. Doing work or jobs is only hard to us because we make them hard. If our attitude was more positive about certain things we do, then the outcome of them will also be positive. Working is not a waste of time either, we actually learn the most when we are working.
Looking for service opportunities is the best kind of work anyone can do. We never know whether or not someone has had a hard time with things or if they need help with things.  My favorite kind of service projects to do is painting fences or doing yard work. Though I don’t get paid for what I am doing I still feel like I accomplished a lot. Seeing how happy my hard work made someone else is the best kind of payment I could ever receive. I love how Dallin H. Oaks explained service in his 2009, general conference talk when he said: "Our Savior teaches us to follow Him by making the sacrifices necessary to lose ourselves in unselfish service to others."
Blogger,

Laken Nordin


No comments:

Post a Comment